Salary: £19,601.00 to £22,239.00 /year
Homeless Day Services, Portsmouth
Part-time 18.5 hours
Salary Scale: 19-23 £19,601 – £22,239 pro-rata
Fixed Term for 1 year (although may be extended)
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic Charity and Housing Association. The Society of St James (SSJ) has been working in Hampshire for over 40 years, delivering high impact, person-centred, accommodation services to adults and young people experiencing homelessness, problematic substance use and mental health problems. We believe that every person is of worth and we are prepared to take risks to house and support the most vulnerable and socially excluded members of society.
An exciting opportunity has opened for a Healthcare Navigator who will be based at SSJ’s Homeless Day Services in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth City Council has been successful in receiving one year grant funding from Public Health England, from the Rough Sleeping Grant, which will fund a multi-agency ‘Towards Better Health’ partnership. The partnership will provide homeless people with fast access to a Health Care Team that will be located at the Homeless Day Centre. The team will consist of GP’s, Physical and Mental Health Professionals, Peer Advocates and Health Navigators.
As a partner to Towards Better Health, SSJ is recruiting a part-time Healthcare Navigator. The main duties are:
- To work with homeless individuals to engage them into the Healthcare Service
- To work with individuals to support them in the management of long term health conditions
- To support individuals to access Secondary and Community Healthcare Providers, including accompanying them to such services
- To assist individuals to access suitable accommodation
- To work closely with all partners and report to the Modern Matron at the service.
The aim of navigation is to better coordinate existing services, not to create a new one. Navigators will play an important role in identifying blocks and barriers within existing systems and helping to identify solutions.
The Ideal Candidates
We are looking for applicants who can demonstrate:
- Experience of working with adults who are homeless and with alcohol and substance misuse problems
- Experience of delivering best practice in services for vulnerable people and an awareness of the impact of homelessness/ rough sleeping on individuals
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to initiate and maintain constructive and appropriate relationships with clients and agencies from across the public sector (both statutory and non-statutory)
- Experience of supporting and motivating diverse client groups with complex circumstances to secure and sustain housing, healthcare or employment outcomes
- A proven ability to work effectively in a multi-agency context
- An effective communicator, both verbally and in writing, who can also assist in capturing and collating outcomes for data analysis purposes
- Experience with finances, overseeing personalised budgets and the financial monitoring associated with this responsibility
- Emotional resilience and able to deal with the impact of helping vulnerable people with complex circumstances and the ability to remain motivated and enthusiastic in this demanding role
- The ability to independently organise their workload, within remote working practices
You will have a professional, but approachable manner, be highly motivated and able to demonstrate your ability to work in person-centred way, enabling clients to meet their needs. You will have good understanding of professional boundaries as well as good grasp of confidentiality and IT.
As Investors in People Gold employer, SSJ recognises that our staff are our greatest assets. We value and recognise our staff, offering some generous benefits, as well as the satisfaction of helping vulnerable people:
- A competitive annual leave entitlement of 25 days rising to 30 days, plus public holidays, pro rata for part-time
- Flexible working options
- Buying additional annual leave
- Comprehensive induction and training
- Counselling, financial, personal support and health and well being services via our Employee Assistance Programme
- Company cycle to work scheme
- Discounted laptops and computers with Jamie’s Computers
To apply, please send us your CV and covering letter explaining how you think you have the skills and experience to excel in this role.
We will be assessing candidates as they come through and reserve the right to end this post at any time.
Closing Date: Sunday 22nd December 2019
Interview Date: Monday 6th January 2020