All Saints Young People’s Service
All Saints is our dedicated young person’s service in Portsmouth for 16-25 year olds who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Some of the young people have lived within the care system for much of their childhood, some have been involved with the criminal justice system, others have experienced a family breakdown and have been forced to leave home for a variety of reasons – breaking the rules, behavioural issues, or their relationship with their parents breaking down.
We house 22 young people, each with their own room. There is some great communal space where we offer all kinds of daily activities for the young people to take part in – cooking, arts & crafts, games nights and educational sessions. We also run a great Lifeskills Programme for young people to help them learn the skills they will need to be able to live independently and make their own home when they are ready to move on.
Most of the young people who come to us are are very young with the majority being aged between 16-19. They are all vulnerable and in real need of stability and boundaries, but above all a bit of love and respect! Our staff team are very experienced at working with young people and encourage them, at every opportunity, to embrace all the opportunities offered to help them build a brighter future.
We are currently running a special project at All Saints called Prepare4Life. This project has been made possible through a two year grant from Children in Need and is aimed specifically at 16-18 year olds and provides a programme designed to improve their life outcomes, and includes including:
Training & Education:
- Life Skills Training – shopping/cooking, budgets/social skills (informal training)
- Employability skills – CV writing, cover letters, interview techniques (informal training)
- Coaching Qualifications – sports leadership/NGB coaching L1 qualifications (accredited courses) football, basketball, swimming
- First aid, Food Hygiene, Bicycle Maintenance
- Healthy Living – cooking/understanding diet/nutrition
- Physical Activity – weekly physical activity/fitness sessions
Volunteering & Work Placements:
- Access to our volunteering and work placement schemes, with a mentor to support them